- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sprinkles (not nonpareils, they will bleed into each other)
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- More sprinkles for decorating
- Spray a twinkie pan using some non-stick vegetable spray and preheat your oven to 350˚F.
- Combine the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer or stand mixer until thick and pale colored, 5 minutes. Combine the milk and butter in a microwave safe bowl and melt until the mixture is smooth. Add the vanilla extract to the milk mixture.
- To the eggs, sift in the flour and baking soda. Then add the hot milk & butter mixture in a steady stream while mixing on low speed. Add the sprinkles and mix until just incorporated, don't over mix or the twinkies will be chewy.
- Pour batter 1/2 way up each cavity of the pan and bake for about 8- 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then remove and cool completely.
- For the marshmallow filling, place a medium bowl over a saucepan with simmering water and keep on a low heat. Combine the eggs and sugar in the bowl and mix using an electric mixer for 5 minutes or until the sugar is completely dissolved. You can check using your fingers to feel for remaining granules. Once no grains of sugar remain take the mixture off the pot and mix on high for about 5-6 minutes until it is thick, glossy and stiff peaks form. Stir in the vanilla and then place into a piping bag.
- To fill the twinkies, poke holes through the centre using a straw or chopstick to make room for the icing. Stick the end of the piping bag in and fill completely.