- 1 liter vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup water, room temperature
- 3 large eggs, beaten, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 orange, zested
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 banana, peeled then halved lengthwise and crosswise
- Chocolate syrup
- Caramel sauce
- Strawberry sauce
- Whipped cream
- Maraschino cherries, with stem (optional)
- In a large, wide pot, heat the oil over medium heat until the temperature reaches 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together water, eggs and butter. Slowly whisk in flour until just combined. Stir in zests.
- Pour the batter into an 18-inch piping bag. Cut the tip off the bag.
- Carefully pipe the batter into the hot oil, applying even and continuous pressure to avoid breakage. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes and then turn over to brown on the other side, 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar while still hot.
- Continue to make funnel cakes with the remaining batter and cinnamon sugar. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place a funnel cake into a shallow bowl. Top with banana slices, ice cream, chocolate and strawberry sauces, caramel, whipped cream and a cherry.