- 200g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cocoa powder (leave out if you’d like a brighter blue coloured cupcake)
- 160g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 95ml vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 150ml buttermilk
- 3 drops sky blue food gel
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 500g softened unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1020g soft icing sugar mixture (sifted after it’s weighed)
- 2 tbsp milk (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- PURPLE: 2 drops deep pink food gel + 2 drops purple food gel
- BLUE: 2 drops sky blue food gel
- PINK: 2 drops deep pink food gel
- Sprinkles - I used anything glittery and shiny!
- non-toxic glitter stars, white star sprinkles. Anything galaxy or space themed! Pop rocks would also work well.
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder (optional), baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl and mix on low speed to help everything combine. You may sift it if mixing by hand.
- Add the eggs, oil, buttermilk, vanilla and blue food dye into a large jug and whisk until well combined.
- Slowly add the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients while mixing on low speed. Once al the wet ingredients are in there stop the mixer, scrape down the bowl, and mix for a final 20 seconds.
- Scoop into cupcake pan lined with cupcake papers, filling up about ½ way and bake for 30 min. Cupcakes will look shiny and moist on top. If it bounces and doesn't sink when you touch it, it's done! Set them aside on a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Once cooled, core the centre of each cupcake and fill with star sprinkles
- Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to soften butter in a large bowl and mix for 5 minutes so it gains some volume and goes pale in colour.
- Add half the icing sugar mixture and mix until it’s mixed into the butter, then add the rest of the icing sugar along with 2 tbsp of milk and a tbsp of vanilla extract.
- Seperate into four seperate bowls. To make purple ad 2 drops pink food gel and 2 drops purple food gel.
- Mix until well combined. To make blue frosting, add blue food gel, repeat and to make pink frosting add pink food gel.
- Leave the fourth bowl plain white.
- To prepare your piping bag: snip the end off a plastic disposable piping bag or sip lock bag and fit with a Wilton 6B piping tip. Sit the bag in a cup to make filling with frosting easier. Add 1 tsp of each coloured frosting in the bag until bag is filled just above half way.
- Frost each cupcake in a swirl until finish off with a sprinkles of glitter and star sprinkles