- 12 lemon slices, approximately 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Simmer water and sugar over high heat and add lemon slices.
- Cook for 5 minutes and discard the simple syrup.
- Place slices on a greased piece of parchment and allow to set for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees, and grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, eggs, butter, sour cream, vanilla, lemon juice and zest.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Divide batter between 12 cups and bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and immediately flip on onto a cooling rack.
- Top with candied lemon slices and serve.