- 50 grams cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 175 grams plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 225 grams caster sugar
- 175 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 175 milliliters milk
- 1 batch of my fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting
- 400 grams White chocolate (melted)
- 100 grams dark chocolate (melted)
- Heat oven to 160C (320F). Line cupcake tin with brown paper cupcake cases.
- Add all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and mix on low speed for about 20 seconds before you add your softened butter. Let it mix until it reaches a crumbly, sand like texture.
- Add eggs and milk into a jug and whisk together well. Add milk/egg mixture to dry ingredients in a slow steady stream while mixer is on low. Make sure you scrape down the bowl each time you add an ingredient to make sure everything's mixing well. Scoop into cupcake pan, filling about 3/4 way. Bake for 20 min. To check if they're done simply pierce the cupcake with a skewer and if they come out clean they're done. Once they're done, let them cool down completely.
- While cupcakes are baking and cooling you can pipe out your chocolate eyes and smiley faces. Simply add melted chocolate to a piping bag and snip off a little bit at the end and pipe 48 eyes and 24 smiles.
- To frost cupcakes add buttercream to a piping bag fitted with a round tip and pipe in a swirl motion. Then cover in white chocolate allowing some to drip over the sides. Stick eyes and smiles on right away before white chocolate sets.