Gingerbread Man Brownies
Gingerbread and brownies are a match made in dessert heaven.
- 35g (¼ cup) plain flour
- 35g (¾ cup) unsweetened cocoa
- 150g (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 15g (¾ cup) butter
- 150g (1 ½ cups) chocolate, melted
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup dark-brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp finely ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 large eggs
- ½ cup golden syrup
- 200g powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp cold water
- 200g dark chocolate
- 100ml thickened/whipping cream
- ½ cup of small white caviar sprinkles
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 175C (340F).
- Spray an 8 by 8 inch square pan with non stick cooking spray and lay the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add butter and chocolate to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 20 seconds at a time and repeat until it becomes smooth.
- Add flour, eggs, sugar to a large mixing bowl and mix on low speed using the paddle attachment or a wooden spoon until everything is combined.
- Slowly add chocolate and butter mixture while mixing on low speed.
- Add half the batter to baking tin lined with baking paper, crumble half of the remaining gingerbread cookie dough, then add the rest of the brownie mixture before adding the rest of the cookie mixture.
- Bake for 30 min or until a pick comes out with moist crumbs.
- Pour the ganache over the cooled brownies.
- Sprinkle with sprinkles before placing gingerbread men on top.
- Place in the fridge to set for 20 minutes before slicing up into 9 pieces.
- Brownies can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl and use an electric hand mixer to beat until mixture looks pale in colour.
- Add all of the spices and salt along with the egg and golden syrup and mix until well combined.
- Add half of the flower and use a spatula to mix until combined. Then add the remaining flour and repeat.
- Place half of the dough onto a large piece of baking paper and place another large sheet of baking paper on top. Use a rolling pin to flatten out to 1/8 inch thick.
- Place in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.
- Take out of the fridge and peel away the top layer of baking paper.
- Cut out 5 gingerbread men and then use the remaining gingerbread cookie mixture to crumble into the brownie mixture.
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes, then allow to cool completely.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar into a large mixing bowl along with the egg white and mix on low speed using an electric hand mixer.
- Add water and mix until well combined and mixture thins out a little.
- Add to a piping bag fitted with a Wilton #4 piping tip.
- Decorate cooled cookies with Royal Icing as shown in the video. You can use any patterns, colours or shapes you like. You can even stick sprinkles to the royal icing.
- Allow to set for 1 hour before using.
- Add chocolate and cream into a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 20 seconds at a time, mixing each time until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to set. Alternatively, you may melt it using a double boiler.
- Fill a medium sized pot with 1/3 of the way with water. Bring to a boil.
- Place bowl with chocolate and cream over the top and gently mix until mixture is completely melted and smooth.