Gingerbread Oreo Cookies
What happens when your favorite holiday flavor meets your preferred year-round cookie?
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (dutch process)
- 11/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Pinch of salt
- In a mixer, cream the butter and granulated sugar until well incorporated. Add the egg and vanilla, scraping when necessary.
- In another bowl with strainer (or sifter on top), mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the sifted mixture to the butter mixture, and mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half, wrap with plastic wrap and chill dough for 1 hour.
- Once the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 350° F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface until about 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick. Using 2 inch round biscuit cutter, cut into circles and bake for 10-12 minutes until set. Cool completely.
- Once cookies are cooled, pipe buttercream on one cookie and sandwich together.
- Using a mixer, cream butter until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and continue mixing until volume doubles.