- 2 small sweet potatoes or 1 large
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- Pierce the sweet potato skins with a fork to let some of the steam escape. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 40 to 55 minutes. Let cool before handling.
- Once potatoes are cooked and cooled, remove skin. Pass potatoes through a ricer. Make sure potatoes are cool enough to touch.
- In a bowl, mix the riced potatoes with the rest of the ingredients (1/2 cup flour at a time) until well combined and a dough is formed, about 3 minutes. if dough is too sticky, add more flour.
- Cut dough ball into 8 even pieces. On a floured surface, use your hands to roll one dough ball into a long cylinder/snake shape about 1/4 inch in diameter. Use a pastry scraper or knife to cut 1/2-inch pillows. Holding a fork at a 45-degree angle, roll the gnocchi pillows off the back of the fork to create the traditional gnocchi divots. Cover gnocchi with a dish towel while you finish making the rest.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add gnocchi and cook until they float to the top. Cook for 1 minute longer, strain and serve plain or with desired sauce.