- 1 ripe plantain, seeds removed
- 1 small russet potato
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot, cover potato and plantain with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until plantain is tender, then remove. Continue cooking the potato until tender, about 20 minutes total.
- Once potato and plantain are cooked and cooled, remove skins. Pass through a ricer. Make sure they’re cool enough to touch.
- In a bowl, mix the riced potato/plantain with the rest of the ingredients (1/2 cup flour at a time) until well combined and a dough is formed, about 3 minutes. if dough is too sticky, add more flour.
- Cut dough ball into 8 even pieces.
- On a floured surface, use your hands to roll one dough ball into a long cylinder/snake shape about 1/4 inch in diameter.
- Use a pastry scraper or knife to cut 1/2-inch pillows. Holding a fork at a 45-degree angle, roll the gnocchi pillows off the back of the fork to create the traditional gnocchi divots.
- Cover gnocchi with a dish towel while you finish making the rest.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add gnocchi and cook until they float to the top. Cook for 1 minute longer, strain and serve plain or with desired sauce.