Grilled Pizza Carbonara
Your favorite pasta dish is even better when turned into a pizza topping.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 ball pizza dough, store bought or homemade
- 8 slices pancetta
- 5 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 6 egg yolks
- Flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees F.
- While the grill heats up, make the sauce. Melt the butter in a small saucepot. Once melted, whisk in the flour and cook for a few minutes until it turns golden brown and smells nutty. Whisk in the milk, starting with one cup. Season with salt and a good amount of pepper. Bring up to a simmer to thicken. Add more milk to loosen if sauce gets too thick. Once it thickens, remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to roughly the same size as a baking sheet. Take a baking sheet and flip upside down so the lipped side is facing down. Lightly flour the surface and place the dough on the sheet.
- Place the dough on the grill, close the lid and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the bottom gets crispy. Remove from the grill and place back on the baking sheet, grilled side up.
- Before you assemble the pizza, start by quickly grilling the pancetta, 1 to 2 minutes per side until crisped up. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Reduce the heat to 375.
- To assemble the pizza, slather the thickened sauce all over the pizza. Sprinkle with mozzarella and crumble the cooled pancetta all over. Next, crack the eggs into a small bowl and place the yolks only on the pizza, evenly dispersed. Finish with a little sprinkling of pepper.
- Place the pizza back on the grill, close the lid and cook until the cheese has melted and the bottom is crispy. Remove from the heat.
- Finish with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and a few pieces of whole parsley leaves. Cut and serve, making sure the yolks break all over the pizza. Serve immediately.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE