Kick up your veggies with juicy, grilled fajita flavor by rolling them in their own delicious blanket of goodness.
Fajitas Roll Ups
- 2 pounds thinly sliced flank steak or beef chuck steak, cut into 2 1/2 to 3 inches by 5 to 6-inch-long strips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 red onion, sliced crosswise
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Roja sauce:
- 3 plum tomatoes, split in half lengthwise
- 1/2 yellow onion, split in 4
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and split lengthwise
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- To serve:
- Lime wedges
- To make the seasoning: Combine chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper in a small bowl. Season the steak pieces on both sides.
- To make the veggies: Add olive oil to a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Toss in peppers, onions and garlic, and saute until just soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool to room temperature.
- To make the sauce: Heat grill to medium-high heat. Drizzle tomatoes, onions and jalapeño with olive oil. Grill for 5 to 7 minutes until lightly charred on both sides. Remove and cool. Add to blender along with 1 clove of garlic and salt. Blend until smooth.
- To grill and assemble: Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Add cooled pepper and onion mixture to one end of steak strips and roll up. Secure with toothpicks. Grill steak rolls over direct heat for 6 to 8 minutes, rotating on all sides, until cooked to desired temperature.
- Plate with limes and roja sauce drizzled on top. Sprinkle with cilantro.