- 6 pre-made empanada discs, defrosted and kept in a damp cloth
- 8 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 1 ounce toasted macadamia nuts, chopped
- 9 ounces Goya guava paste, cut into six 1.5 ounces rectangles
- Salt to taste
- Egg wash
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a small bowl, make the egg wash by mixing 1 egg with a splash of water.
- In a small bowl, mix the softened goat cheese with the thyme leaves and toasted macadamia nuts.
- Roll out an empanada shell slightly with the rolling pin, and fill one side of the disc with a piece of guava and 1/8 of the goat cheese mixture. Paint the egg wash along the edges of the empanada shell and fold the other side over the filling. Roll the edges like a dumpling or pinch them closed with your fingers. Repeat with remaining shells and filling.
- Arrange empanadas on a baking sheet, brush the tops with more egg wash, and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden on top. Allow to cool slightly before serving.