Guinness Cloud Cake
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Guinness or other stout
- 300g dark chocolate
- 100ml Guinness
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Guinness Cloud Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Spray a 9 inch cake tin with oil spray and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Add the butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl. Beat together using an electric mixer on medium-high, 3 min until light and fluffy.
- Add the stout and mix in until well combined. It will look like it’s separating. Don’t worry about that, the flour will bring it back together.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in 1 tsp vanilla.
- Add half the flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarb soda and salt and beat into the butter mixture on low speed to begin with and then bring it up to high speed to help everything combine really well. Add the rest of the flour and repeat.
- Pour batter into pan and smoothen the top using a small offset spatula or the back of a tablespoon.
- Bake in centre of oven until a cake tester inserted in centre of cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 min. Cool in pan on a rack for 10 min, then turn out onto rack. Remove parchment. Cool completely, about 30 min.
- Assemble by setting cake on a cake stand. Pile frosting on top of cake, creating peaks and swirls.
- Add chocolate and Guinness into a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 20 seconds at a time, mixing each time until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to set. (Alternatively, you may melt it using a double boiler. Fill a medium sized pot with 1/3 of the way with water. Bring to a boil. Place bowl with chocolate and Guinness over the top and gently mix until mixture is completely melted and smooth.)
- To soften the ganache to spreading or piping consistency, microwave for 10 seconds at a time, mixing each time with a large spatula until it reaches the right consistency. Allow to set at room temp.
- Combine granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves and mixture is clear. Stir in 1 tsp vanilla.
- Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar on high in the bowl of a stand mixer, until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, 1 min. Slowly pour hot sugar syrup down the side of the bowl, beating until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 more min.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE