Hand-Pulled Cotton Candy
Who needs a machine when you can make your own colorful and delicious cotton candy by hand?!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Food color/extracts of your choice
- A lot of cornstarch for coating
- In a saucepan, combine all ingredients and heat on medium-high. The mixture needs to heat slowly for about 20-25 minutes, until it reaches 269°F, so monitor your heat to adjust as needed.
- Once it reaches temperature, immediately remove the saucepan from the burner and allow to cool to at least 212°F. Transfer to plastic quart containers to cool until it turns into a firm disk.
- Place cornstarch on a baking tray or large bowl.
- Release the candy by pressing around the plastic container. Use your thumbs to create a hole in the center.
- Coat generously in cornstarch and begin forming a donut shape, rotating the disc, and using your hands to stretch it, making sure all sides are even.
- Once the ring is about 1 foot wide, twist into a figure 8 shape and continue stretching and making a uniform ring. Be sure to constantly dust with cornstarch to prevent sticking. After about 12 loops, you'll end up with over 10,000 strands.
- Continue the process if the strands are still pliable.
- Use your hands to pull and break off small sections, wrap around a stick, and serve.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE