- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Food coloring, pink or yellow
- One box strawberry cake mix plus ingredients
- 1 jar lemon curd
- Prepare your surface
- This is a sticky/messy project so it's best to cover your counters and floor with opened garbage bags or newspaper. Also it's best to enjoy this treat outdoors.
- Make the candy
- In a 2-quart saucepan, add sugar, corn syrup and water. Stir to combine. Place candy thermometer in saucepan and turn on heat to medium-high. Cook sugar until thermometer reads 300 degrees (about 15 minutes). This is called the 'hard crack temperature' and is key to getting the right consistency for your cotton candy. Next, carefully pour sugar into a heatproof glass bowl. Add the lemon extract and a few drops of food coloring. Stir with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Make the 'cotton' candy*
- Dip whisk in candy mixture. Hold a few inches above the bowl, allowing some excess to drip off. Next, hold the whisk 12 inches above the rack and carefully wave it in a back-and-forth motion. This will create thin threads of cotton candy. Once you have a good amount of candy, form it into a ball. Use candy to decorate a cake, cupcakes or even ice cream. Enjoy!
- *This is a hard form of cotton candy. It will be crunchy.