- For the pastry:
- 3 packages puff pastry
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- For the baked apples:
- 6 large baking apples
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups boiling water
- Caramel swirl ice cream
- For the pastry: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out puff pastry dough, and portion into 6 pieces about 8 inches in diameter. Using a lattice-cutting roller, cut the dough.
- Form a ball of parchment paper at least 2 inches larger than the size of your apples. Drape the pastry dough over the parchment, and bake for 15 minutes, until puffed and golden. Let cool completely on the paper.
- When cool, place the sugar in an even layer in a large skillet. Cook without stirring until amber in color, then roll the baked pastry in the caramel to coat. Set aside.
- For the apples: Lower oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Core the apples from the stem down, taking care not to cut through the entire apple to the bottom.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts. Place the apples in a baking dish and stuff with the filling. Top each apple with a square of butter. Pour boiling water into the base of the dish, and bake for 40 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. Top with a scoop of ice cream, then a pastry cage. Serve immediately.