Baked with warm cinnamon spices and topped with a delicious and crunchy oatmeal streusel.
Hasselback Cinnamon Apples
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored, and halved
- 3 tablespoon melted coconut oil, divided
- 3 tablespoon coconut sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 tablespoon buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon old fashioned oats
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine 1 tablespoon. coconut oil with 1 tablespoon coconut sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.
- Place the apples core-side down on a cutting board. Cut slices into the apple, 1/4-inch apart, stopping just before you cut through the bottom.
- Use a pastry brush to spread the coconut oil, coconut sugar, and cinnamon mixture over top of the apples and into the slices.
- Place the apples in the baking dish, flat-side down. Cover with tin foil, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Combine the remaining coconut oil, remaining coconut sugar, remaining cinnamon, buckwheat flour, oats, and salt in a small bowl.
- Top the apples with the cinnamon sugar and oat mixture. Use a fork to carefully spread the streusel over top of the apples. Work the topping between the slices as well.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425°F.
- Place the apples back in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.