- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3/4 cup almond flour (not almond meal)
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh raspberry puree, strained
- Pink gel food coloring
- Dark Chocolate Ganache:
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup whipping cream, hot
- Raspberry jam
- Make the macarons: Combine the confectioner's sugar and almond flour in a bowl, then sift 3 times. Place the egg whites in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until foamy. Add the cream of tartar, then beat until soft peaks form. Add the superfine sugar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Sift the dry mixture into the egg mixture and gently fold to combine. Add the raspberry puree and pink gel food coloring and stir to combine. Place the batter in a piping bag fitted with large round tip and pipe 1-inch hearts on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Wet your finger with water and smooth the top of the macarons. Tap the baking sheets on your countertop a couple times to remove any air bubbles. Let the macarons sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Set your oven to 375F, heat for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325F. Bake the macarons, one sheet at a time, for 6-8 minutes, rotating halfway through. After each batch, increase the heat to 375F, heat for 5 minutes, then reduce to 325F and pop the next sheet into the oven! Allow the macarons to cool on the sheet for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to fully cool.
- Make the ganache: Combine the melted dark chocolate, salt and whipping cream in a bowl. Place in the fridge until the ganache has cooled and thickened. Beat the ganache with an electric mixer until it slightly lightens in colour and becomes creamy and a whipped consistency. Place in a piping bag fitted with a round tip.
- To assemble: Flip the macarons over and pipe some ganache around the border of half the macarons. Dollop some raspberry jam in the center, then place another macaron on top. Enjoy!