- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 to 4-pound chicken, spatchcocked
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup white rice
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup soaked applewood chips
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, grated garlic, and chili flakes. Stir to combine.
- In a large casserole dish, add the spatchcocked chicken, cover with marinade and season with salt and pepper. Rub the chicken all over, and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Smoke the chicken. Line a wok with heavy duty aluminum foil making sure to leave about 6 inches of overhang.
- On high heat, add the rice, brown sugar, applewood chips, rosemary, thyme, and peppercorns to the bottom of the wok. Stir to combine.
- Set a wire rack on top of your wok, and place the marinated chicken breast side up on the rack. Tent with the foil using the overhang to seal tightly, and place over high heat. Once it begins to smoke, reduce heat to medium and smoke for 25 minutes. Turn off heat and allow the chicken to sit in the smoker for an additional 15 minutes.
- Transfer both the wire rack and chicken to a sheet tray, and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, and the skin is nice and crisp.
- Carve, and serve with your favorite sides!
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE