- 8 large egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, place the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar.
- Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and egg whites are warm, about 5 minutes.
- Whip mixture with the whisk attachment of a stand mixer until the mixture is lofty, glossy and holds stiff peaks.
- Add vanilla, mix well and dollop mixture all over the top of the pie, aiming for about 6 inches of height.
- Brulee the meringue with a torch. Serve pie immediately at room temperature.