- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoon meringue powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup water
- Gel Food Colours in: Red, dark green, blue, yellow
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one a time, mixing after each addition. Mix in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to wet in two additions. Divide dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Refrigerate cookie dough for at least 20 min in refrigerator or until firm. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Generously flour work surface, and roll out cookie dough until about 1/8' thick. Cut out desired shapes and transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 9-11min or until edges are golden brown.
- Place the confectioner's sugar, meringue powder and some of the water into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 7 minutes until the mixture is smooth and when drizzled, stays on the surface for a few seconds. If you find that the icing is too thick, gradually add a few more drops of water.
- Separate the icing into 5 bowls and dye 4 of them bright colours leaving the last one white. Place each icing into a separate snap seal bag and twist the top. Using scissors cut off a tiny bit of the corner of each bag and begin piping you desired design.