- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup cinnamon sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Mix warm water, yeast and a teaspoon of sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Place remaining sugar, flour and salt in a stand mixer fitted with dough hook attachment.
- Slowly pour in eggs, yolk and oil and mix until you get a shaggy dough. Pour in the yeast mixture.
- Knead dough for 8 minutes and transfer to a well-oiled glass bowl. Cover with a damp tea towel and let rise for 1 to 2 hours until doubled in size.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 1/4 inch thick round. Cut into circles using a 2-inch biscuit cutter.
- In a large Dutch oven filled with 4 inches of canola oil, fry the dough at 350 degrees or until golden on each side.
- Place on paper towel to drain for one minute. Roll in cinnamon sugar and drizzle with maple syrup while still warm.