Homemade Milk Caramel
Why buy caramel when you can make it in 3 easy steps?
- 4 cups milk
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a Dutch oven on medium to high heat, add the milk and sugar. Lower temperature to low heat, and continue to stir.
- When it starts to lightly boil, add baking soda.
- The milk will begin to evaporate and the mixture will thicken and turn a rich caramel color.
- After about 1 hour, stirring from time to time, so that it does not stick to the pot, remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, pour caramel sauce and with an electric mixer, beat until thick and creamy texture.
- Store in tightly sealed jars.