- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3 cups buttercream, tinted yellow
- 2 cups yellow candy melts
- 2 feet small bubble wrap
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two 6-inch cake pans with baking spray and parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa.
- Using a hand mixer, blend the butter, eggs, and vanilla into the dry mix. Fold in the sour cream. Pour the batter into the pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until each cake has set, and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from the pans, and allow to cool completely.
- Once cakes are cooled, approximately 3 hours later, divide cakes in half.
- Place 1 half of the cake on a turntable, and place a quarter of a cup of frosting on top. Smooth out, and repeat with all other layers.
- Completely cover the cake in frosting, and place in the fridge to set.
- Measure bubble wrap to fit around the sides of the cake tightly, and approximately 1 inch taller than the cake. Unravel, and place with the bubble side up.
- Gently, pour melted candy melts over the bubbles and smooth out, working quickly, spread evenly over the entire piece. Allow chocolate to set at room temperature. You’ll know when it’s ready when you can touch it without leaving a mark.
- Remove cake from fridge. Carefully, wrap the chocolate band around the cake. Slowly, remove the bubble wrap adhering candy melts to the cake. Repeat on another sheet for decorating the top of the cake with honeycomb.