BLACK SESAME SOUP (HAK ZI MA WU)
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup black sesame seeds/black sesame seed powder
- 8 cups water
- ¾ cups sugar
- Soak the rice in cold water for at least an hour.
- Drain the rice and add to a blender, with 4 cups of water. Blend the rice until it’s like the texture of sand.
- Add black sesame powder to the mixture and blend until fully mixed.
- In a large saucepan, pour mixture, then add the remaining 4 cups of water and the sugar. Start out with ½ cup of sugar and gradually add more towards the end if you want it sweeter.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. As soon as it starts to boil, turn the head down to low and cook until mixture thickens, stirring constantly (5 to 10 minutes).