- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 225°F. Prepare a baking sheet with a Silpat or greased wax paper.
- Whip egg whites until frothy. Sprinkle in sugar, cream of tartar, salt and peppermint extract, and whip until stiff peaks are formed.
- Brush the inside of a pastry bag with red food coloring in two parallel lines, add meringue, and pipe whipped-cream-shaped mounds onto baking sheet, spaced about 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle with crushed candy canes and bake until dry and crisp. (This recipe takes some time, so we recommend letting them go overnight with the oven door cracked halfway.)