Hot Dog Cupcakes
- 106 grams of flour
- 200 grams of cornmeal
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 250 milliliters of buttermilk
- 125 milliliters of milk
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- Tomato sauce/ketchup
- American mustard
- 250 grams sauerkraut
- 12 mini hot dogs/little boys
- 250 grams Philadelphia cream cheese (cold)
- 250 grams softened butter
- 1/2 cup of Spanish onion chutney or your favorite chutney (make sure it doesn't have too much liquid, if it does, simply drain it as much as you can)
Hot Dog Cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 180C (356F) or 160C (320F) for a fan-forced oven
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda and mix on low to combine everything. Then add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand-like texture.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, whole milk and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix it all together until you have a nice smooth batter.
- Scoop into your cupcake papers filling about 1/2 way, cut your hot dog to match the height of your cupcake, insert it into the center of the cupcake batter (standing up) and push down so it reaches the bottom. Bake for 20-30 min or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Once the cupcakes have baked and cooled frost them in a swirl motion as demonstrated in the video using a plain tip.
- Squeeze some mustard sauce on top and then some tomato sauce. Finish off with a little dollop of sauerkraut.
- While your cupcakes are baking and cooling prepare your cream cheese frosting by adding your cold cream cheese and softened butter into a large mixing bowl. Use the paddle attachment to mix them both together until they're combined together and there are no visible lumps of cream cheese or lumps of butter. Take care not to over mix as it may softened too much and go runny)
- Add chutney and mix just until well combined.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE