- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Whipped cream, to serve
- Maraschino cherries, to garnish
- Sprinkles, to garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ½ cup sugar, ¼ cup cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add in milk, butter and vanilla paste and mix well. Transfer to the prepared cake pan and smooth out.
- In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar and remaining white sugar and cocoa powder. Pour over cake evenly. Pour boiling water on top and do not mix. Bake for 35 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream, whipped cream, cherries and sprinkles.