- 5 slabs of cheese ranging from hard to soft (i.e., Brie, Parmesan, Swiss, Gruyere, blue, etc.)
- 2 bunches of grapes, in different colors
- 1 pound olives of choice
- 1/2 pounds dates
- 1/2 pounds prunes
- 1/2 pounds toasted cashews
- 1/2 pounds toasted almonds
- About 8 pieces of seasonal fruit (persimmons, clementines, pears, apples)
- Fresh seasonal herbs (rosemary, marjoram, sage)
- Breadsticks and crackers of choice
- 2-3 interesting jams (apple butter, pumpkin spice butter) in little jars with small spoons
- First, place pieces of cheese around the board in random places. Next, separate the bunches of grapes slightly and place in random spots around the board, evenly distributing the different colors.
- Place handfuls of olives in 3 different spots on the board, and do the same with the dates, prunes, cashews and almonds, being sure to distribute them evenly.
- Peel the clementines and separate the pieces. Place bunches around the board. Slice the pears, apples and persimmons into thin slices and fan out. Add to the board, tucking parts of the fruit under the piles of dried fruit and olives.
- Randomly place bunches of seasonal herbs around the board to give nice color, earthiness and aroma.
- Place breadsticks in a shallow cup and place on the board. This creates different heights and gives more depth. Place the other crackers around the board, fanning some out if desired.
- Lastly, find a place to tuck in your little jars of jam. Label your cheeses with flags so your guests know what they're eating, and place a few cheese knives around the board next to the cheeses.