- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/2 cups flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips
- 15 Oreos
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, mix together the sugars, shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract and applesauce. Mix until fully incorporated.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until the dough is workable, and doesn't stick to your hands. If it does, mix in a handful of flour. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place reserved 1/2 cup flour in a bowl and use to coat your hands.
- Roll a 2-inch ball of cookie dough, place on one hand, and press lightly using the palm of your other to spread the dough into a circle big enough to fit an Oreo in the center. Wrap the cookie dough to cover the entire Oreo. Place cookies 2 inches apart on baking pan. Repeat with remaining dough, continuing to coat your hands in flour when they get too sticky.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown. Let sit on pan for 2 minutes, then place cookies on cooling rack.