- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 3/4 cup almond flour (not almond meal)
- 2 large egg whites
- pinch cream of tartar
- ¼ cup superfine sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- black edible ink pen
- nutella, for filling
- Combine the confectioner’s sugar and almond flour in a bowl, then sift 3 times.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until foamy. Add the cream of tartar, then beat until soft peaks form. Add the superfine sugar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add the vanilla extract and gently mix to combine. Sift the dry mixture into the egg mixture and gently fold to combine.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large, round piping tip.
- Pipe rounds onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat baking sheet.
- Tap the baking sheets on your countertop a couple times to remove any air bubbles. Let the macarons sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Set your oven to 375F, heat for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325F. Bake the macarons, one sheet at a time, for 6-8 minutes, rotating halfway through. After each batch, increase the heat to 375F, heat for 5 minutes, then reduce to 325F and pop the next sheet into the oven!
- Cool the macarons completely on the cookie sheet.
- Draw Jack Skellington’s face onto half of the macarons with the edible ink pen.
- Place some Nutella in a piping bag fitted with a round piping tip. Pipe the Nutella onto the undecorated macarons and place a decorated macaron on top. Enjoy!