- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold butter (vegan Earth Balance)
- 5-6 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup blackberry preserves
- 1/4 cup water from a can of black beans or chickpeas
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Food coloring (blue, red, yellow, green)
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flour and salt, then grate in the butter using a box grater. Break the butter up with your hands until the flour is crumbly.
- Add the cold water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together into a ball. Shape into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove the dough from fridge, and roll out into a rectangle 1/4 inch thick. Trim away edges to make a perfect rectangle. Cut the rectangle into 8 equal pieces.
- Spread the blackberry preserves on 4 of the rectangles (about 2 tablespoons each), leaving 3/4 inch around the edges. Brush the edges with a little water, and place the other 4 rectangles on top. Pinch the edges together with your fingertips, then crimp closed with a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet, and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is puffed and flaky. Do not overcook. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl with a handheld mixer, beat the chickpea water until frothy. Add in the powdered sugar a bit at a time, beating until smooth and thick. Separate the icing into three small bowls and color with food coloring.
- Decorate the pop tarts, then let icing dry and harden. Serve.