- For the jalapeños:
- 9 jalapeños
- 9 strips of bacon
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the tops off each jalapeño and carefully remove all seeds and membrane. Wrap each jalapeño tightly with a piece of bacon and fry in a cast-iron pan on medium-high heat, until the bacon has rendered and browned all around. Place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Cut the cheddar cheese into equal-sized pieces small enough to fit inside each jalapeño. Stuff jalapeños with cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and vegetable oil. Slowly incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry to form a smooth batter.
- Grease a 5 1/2 by 9 1/2 inch loaf pan, and pour one-third of the batter in. Arrange the cooled jalapeños on the batter, and cover with the remaining batter.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle. Allow to cool slightly before serving.