- 2 quarts vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 jalapeños, halved long ways and de-seeded
- 8 cheddar sticks, slightly smaller than jalapeños
- 2 cups flour
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- Heat vegetable oil to 350°F in a deep stock pot, ensuring that the oil reaches no higher than halfway up the side of the pot (to keep from overflowing).
- Stuff the cheese sticks into the jalapeños halves.
- Using 3 separate bowls, put flour into one, the eggs into another, and the breadcrumbs into the last bowl.
- Dip a cheese-stuffed pepper into the flour, pressing down to ensure the flour sticks to all areas.
- Next, dip jalapeño in the egg, pressing down to ensure the egg covers all areas.
- Finally, dip in the breadcrumbs, making sure entire surface area is covered.
- Repeat with the remaining 7 poppers.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes to set.
- Deep-fry poppers until golden brown.