- 2 cups purple yam, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- Steam purple yam for 15 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the warm water and yeast and set aside to activate. When yams are steamed, mash them and add to the activated yeast along with the sugar. Mix until thickened and incorporated.
- Add the flour and mix well with the paddle attachment, then switch to the dough hook and knead dough until the color is uniform. Knead the dough by hand for a few minutes, then place in a greased bowl, top it with plastic wrap and set aside to proof for one hour, or until doubled in size.
- When dough has doubled in size, portion the dough into 12 equal parts and roll each piece into a ball. Keep the balls covered with a tea towel while you work to keep the dough wet. Divide each dough ball into 6 pieces, and roll each into a ball.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten each dough ball. When you have 6 rolled dough rounds, place 5 of them on a prep surface, slightly overlapping one another. Roll one round into a cylinder, then roll that cylinder up into the remaining overlapped 5 pieces of dough. Cut that roll in half down the center; this will leave you with 2 rose-shaped buns.
- Fill the bottom of each dough rose with strawberry jam and seal it well. Set aside on a greased plate and adjust petals to look more like an open rose. When all buns are filled and shaped, allow to rise, covered loosely with plastic wrap, for another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Steam the buns, covered, over high heat for 15 minutes, then turn off heat and leave lid on for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.