Mushroom and okra fried rice is best served underneath a fluffy omelet topped with a sticky, savory sauce.
Japanese Mountain Yam Omurice with Mentaiko Sauce
- 100 grams yamaimo (mountain yam)
- 1 pouch mentaiko (pollock roe)
- 1 teaspoon mentsuyu (soba soup base)
- 150 grams cooked rice
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 okra, chopped
- 30 grams maitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 5 grams butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 perilla leaves, thinly sliced
- Nori, thinly sliced
- Grate the mountain yam and combine with the mentaiko and mentsuyu.
- In a frying, melt some butter and saute the onions until almost translucent. Add in maitake mushrooms, okra, rice salt and pepper and saute for a few minutes.
- In a separate frying pan, heat some olive oil. Combine the egg and milk in a bowl and whisk together. Pour egg mixture into the pan and make an omelette.
- Transfer the cooked rice onto a plate and top it off with the omelette. Pour on the sauce and garnish with perilla leaves and nori.