- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 5 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup barley
- Heat butter in a sauce pot. In a separate sauce pot, heat the chicken stock.
- To the pot with the butter, add onion, mushrooms, and garlic, and cook until soft.
- Stir in sage and barley.
- Add one cup of stock and simmer until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue adding stock 1/4 cup at a time, allowing each amount of liquid to absorb before adding more.
- Continue until all the stock is used and barley is done cooking, about 35 minutes.