- 4 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup whole cashews
- 1 cup dried red raisins (must be red for flavor and color)
- 1 cup dry white basmati rice, cooked according to package directions (3 cups cooked) 1 tablespoons ghee
- 2 cup frozen pea & carrot blend
- 2 cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup chopped cilantro stems
- Cilantro leaves, to garnish
- In a large wok or large skillet, saute red onion in 3 tablespoons of coconut oil on medium heat until caramelized to dark brown. Season with 1⁄4 teaspoon of salt. Deglaze the pan with water to scrape up any brown bits while cooking it down. Remove from wok and set aside.
- In the same wok, add 1⁄2 tablespoon of ghee and the cashews, sautéing on low heat until golden. Remove from the wok when done and set aside.
- Add 1⁄2 tablespoon of ghee and your raisins to the wok, sautéing on low heat until the raisins balloon up and brown. Remove from heat immediately and set aside.
- Heat the wok on low and add the last tablespoon of coconut oil. Add the cinnamon stick and cloves, letting them bloom in the oil. Add 3⁄4 of the caramelized onion along with raisins, cashews and salt to taste.
- Turn the heat up to low-medium and add frozen peas and carrots. Stir and cook til the veggies are heated through. Move heat back to low and add cooked basmati rice, stirring together.
- Mix cilantro stems to the rice, and add salt to taste.
- Plate your rice, and garnish with cilantro leaves