- 4 large eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 475ml whole milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pack ladyfingers, broken in half
- 3-4 medium ripe bananas
- ½ tsp salt and a pinch
- Separate the yolk from the whites of 3 eggs and set aside the whites. Add the remaining whole egg to the yolks.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 100g of the caster sugar, flour, and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir in the whole egg and 3 yolk mixture then stir in the milk. Cook uncovered, stirring often until the mixture thickens. This should take roughly 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C.
- Spread a thin layer of the custard in a casserole dish. Arrange a layer of ladyfingers on top of the custard. Thinly slice the banana crosswise and arrange a layer of banana slices over the ladyfingers. Spread a third of the remaining custard over the bananas and continue layering ladyfingers, bananas, and custard until custard mixture is gone. Finish with a layer of custard
- To make the meringue, beat the reserved egg whites with a pinch of salt until they are stiff. Gradually beat in the remaining 50g of caster sugar and continue beating until the whites don’t slide out of the mixing bowl when it is tilted.
- Spread the meringue over the pudding with a spatula and bake for approximately 5 minutes until the meringue is lightly browned. Enjoy :D