- Crisco white shortening for pans
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, optional
- Position a rack in the centre of the oven and preheat the oven to 325˚F. Grease a 9X13 inch baking pan with Crisco.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add the unsweetened chocolate and let stand until the chocolate looks softened, about 3 minutes. Stir well until the chocolate is completely melted. Let cool slightly for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar into the chocolate mixture. Whisk in the eggs, 1 at a time. Whisk in the vanilla. Fold in the flour mixture and stir (do not whisk) until combined. Stir in the semi-sweet chips and walnuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula.
- Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted into the brownie comes out clean, about 23 minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pan to release the brownie from the sides and then let cool completely in the pan.
- Cut into 20 squares. Remove the brownies from the pan. Separate brownies and serve.