- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lace with bold, thick patterns
- Make the cookies: Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until it becomes light and fluffy. Add the milk, egg and vanilla, and mix well. Then slowly add the flour mixture until it is just combined. Shape the dough into a ball, then divide it into two balls. Wrap them in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Create the lace pattern: Lightly dust some flour onto your countertop, and roll the dough out until it is 1/2 inch thick. Place a large piece of lace onto the surface of the dough and firmly roll with a rolling pin to emboss the cookie dough. Continue, keeping the lace in place, until the dough is 1/4-inch thick. Cut the dough into snowflakes and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the cookies and the baking sheet in the freezer until solid, 10-15 minutes. Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes, until the edges are just starting to brown. Cool completely, then enjoy with a cup of hot cocoa!