Get fancy with a stunning strawberry and cream roll cake gorgeously detailed with a lattice pattern design.
Laced Pattern Roll Cake
- 3 eggs, separated
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- Red food coloring
- 6 strawberries
- Whipped Cream:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- For the roll cake batter: In a medium bowl, add egg yolks, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, water and oil, mixing well after each addition. Sift the flour into the bowl and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites. Add remaining sugar gradually, stirring after each addition until reaches stiff peaks.
- Add a ladleful of meringue into the egg yolk batter and mix well using a whipper, then switch to a spatula and add the remaining meringue in two portions, mixing gently.
- Place a ladleful of batter into a small bowl. Add red food dye into the remaining batter.
- Put the plain batter into a pastry bag, and draw lace patterns on the parchment paper. Bake for 1 minute, then remove from oven and pour the pink batter on top. Bake for 12 minutes, then let cool.
- For the whipped cream: Beat heavy cream and sugar together until soft peaks form.
- Add a layer of whipped cream over the cooled cake, then place strawberries in a line across the bottom. Roll cake up from the front to the back. Place in refrigerator to cool for at least 3 hours.
- Slice and serve.