- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 lavender buds, crushed
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. fine sea salt
- Begin by splitting the vanilla bean lengthwise and using the back of your knife, scrape out the tiny beans.
- In a medium sized sauce pot, combine 2 cups of the milk with the crushed lavender buds, the vanilla beans and pod. Stir to combine. Bring up to a simmer, on low heat. Once it reaches a simmer remove from heat and let sit for 30-40 minutes to infuse.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk the yolks with the sugar. It will clump up and get very thick but keep whisking it all together. Next add in the cornstarch and salt. It will form a paste, that’s ok. Just make sure it’s evenly combined.
- Next add in a little of the remaining 2 cups of milk. Slowly whisk into the yolk and sugar mixture until smooth. Add the rest of milk and mix. Pour the lavender vanilla milk into the bowl as well making sure to use a fine mesh strainer to catch the vanilla pod and lavender buds.
- Pour this mixture back into the pot and slowly bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Once it thickens slightly, enough to heavily coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat.
- Pour the mixture back through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. It will thicken more once it cools.