- 1/4 cup dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate + more for garnish
- 1/4 cup white chocolate + more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- Orange zest or peel or rum for extra flavor
- 6 1/2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- Melt dark chocolate and 1 tablespoon butter over a bain-marie. Place a glass bowl over a pot of water on the stove, and heat water, stirring chocolate and butter until melted.
- Repeat two more times with each type of chocolate.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks. Add a little orange zest and rum and whisk again.
- Once chocolate has cooled slightly, pour 1/3 of the egg yolks into the milk chocolate, 1/3 into white chocolate, and 1/3 into dark chocolate. Gently mix each together.
- Add vanilla extract to white chocolate and a pinch of salt to milk chocolate and dark chocolate.
- Prepare meringue. Use an electric mixer to whisk egg whites until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and continue to whisk.
- Divide meringue evenly among the chocolates and gently fold in.
- Pour mousse into small glasses or Mason jars, layering in whichever order you prefer. Refrigerate for an hour, then garnish the top with flakes of white and milk chocolate.