- 4 medium eggs
- Scant 1 1/4 cups sugar
- Zest of 3 lemons
- Scant 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 2/3 sticks butter, at room temperature
- In a medium-sized saucepan, whisk together eggs and sugar, then stir in lemon juice and zest.
- Place saucepan over a low flame, and constantly stir mixture until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and let mixture cool to just warm, then strain through a mesh sieve into a medium bowl.
- Gradually add in the butter one piece at a time, whisking until thoroughly combined.
- Store covered in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.