- 250 grams unsalted butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup (270 grams honey
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (300 grams self-raising (self-rising) flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), sifted
- 1/2 cup (110 grams caster (superfine) sugar
- 12 sprigs lemon thyme
- Preheat oven to 160°c (325°f).
- Place 100 grams of the butter in a small frying pan over high heat and stir until melted. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until foamy and golden brown.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the honey, milk, egg and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda and sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between 12 x 1/2-cup-capacity (125 milliliters) lightly greased mini loaf tins lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Place on a large baking tray and cook for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Place the remaining butter in a small frying pan over high heat and stir until melted. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until foamy and golden brown.
- Add the lemon thyme and spoon the warm butter over the cakes to serve.