- 2 cups red (orange) lentils, dry
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 1 bulb garlic, crushed or pressed
- Cilantro, for serving
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Using a sieve, wash the lentils until the water runs clear.
- Add lentils to a large saucepan with 6 cups of boiling water. Bring the water and lentils back to a boil.
- Once boiling, skim off any foam that rises to the top. Add spices and mix well. Cover with a lid and let simmer for 45 minutes. Remove lid and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- While simmering with the lid off, prepare your tarkha. Melt butter in a frying pan and add crushed garlic. Cook until golden brown. Add to lentil mixture (daal).
- Garnish with cilantro and garam marsala, and serve with rice. Enjoy!