- 1 (8 or 9 inch) round crusty bread loaf
- 2 small zucchinis, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 large eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (8 oz) jar pesto or 9 Tbsp (preferably with Parmesan)
- 2–3 Tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced or shredded
- Heat a grill pan to medium-high and grease lightly. Working in batches, grill the zucchini and eggplant until cooked through and grill marks form on both sides. Season with salt and pepper as you grill. Reserve.
- Meanwhile, cut off the very top of the bread loaf and scoop out the bread until you’ve achieved a hollow center. Using a small spatula, spread the pesto all over the inside of the loaf including the top piece.
- Start layering the sandwich, placing a layer of eggplant, zucchini, spinach, cheese and continuing until you’ve used all the fillings. Place the top of the bread back on the loaf and wrap in tin foil. Bring loaded loaf to a picnic as is, or place in a 350ºF oven for about an hour, until cheese is melted through and the sandwich is warm. Cut into wedges and enjoy!