- 1 box (2 sheets) puff pastry
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 16 ounces ricotta, strained through cheesecloth
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Zest of 1 orange
- Thaw puff pastry according to directions and slice each sheet into thirds.
- Stack the sheets, brushing melted butter between each. Place in the fridge for an hour or until the dough has firmed up and butter has hardened.
- Remove from fridge and roll out to twice its size. Slice in half and stack on top of each other, brushing butter in between. Roll up into a log, starting from one of the short sides. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients to form the filling.
- Remove rolled dough from fridge and slice into 1/2-inch spiral discs. Using your hands, spread each disc to create an oval 1 1/2 times its original size. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the filling into the dough and pinch shut. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.