- 2 (15.25-ounce) boxes devil's food cake mix
- 3 pounds royal blue candy melts (or desired M&M’s color)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup plain M&M’s
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 4 ounces melted white chocolate candy melts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, make both cake mixes according to the instructions.
- Divide batter between two 9x4-inch oven-safe glass bowls, and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes then turn out onto a rack and let cool completely.
- Fill a medium saucepan with 3 inches of water and bring to a slow simmer over medium-low heat.
- Place a heatproof bowl over the pan, making sure the water does not touch the bowl.
- Add 24 ounces of blue candy melts and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to the bowl, stirring constantly until smooth. (Alternately, you can use a microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between.)
- Using the clean glass bowls that the cakes were baked in, pour the candy melts into both.
- Using a spatula, spread the candy melts evenly until the melts cool and begin to harden. (By spreading the melts with a spatula, a uniform width in the candy shell can be achieved.)
- Place the candy shell into the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Cut 2 inches off the wider top of each bowl cake, and carve one 4x4-inch hole in the center of one of the bowls to form an internal bowl. Fill the internal bowl with melted chocolate and M&M's.
- Remove candy melt shells from the freezer and pop out of glass bowls.
- Place the cake with the chocolate indentation into a candy shell and top with the other cake.
- Pipe remaining blue chocolate around the edges of the candy shell and top with the other shell.
- Let chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Carefully flip the dome when ready to serve and pipe a white chocolate “m” on top.
- Slice and serve!